Leaves of Absence
From Human Resources
This chapter outlines the requirements and guidance for accruing and using paid and unpaid leave in accordance with department policy and state and federal laws.
- Annual leave is accrued each pay period and may be used at the discretion of the employee, with approval from the employee’s immediate supervisor. Annual leave accrual is determined by the employee’s employment status and years of service.
- Sick leave is accrued each pay period and may be taken for a personal illness/injury/condition or to care for an immediate family member. Sick leave accrual is determined by the employee’s employment status. Employees may be asked to supply supporting medical documentation when requested.
- Employees will receive holiday pay for state observed holidays.
- Employees may be granted up to 40 hours of funeral leave for the death of an immediate family member and up to 8 hours for a non-immediate family member.
- Employees who have exhausted all paid leave due to an illness/injury/condition (personal or immediate family) which is life threatening, catastrophic, or resulting in a potentially permanent disability may request ShareLeave. If approved, employees may receive up to 504 hours of paid leave.
- Employees who have been employed with the State of Missouri for 12 months and have physically worked at least 1,250 hours within the 12 months preceding leave, may be eligible to take Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave. FMLA provides up to 12 workweeks of paid or unpaid job-protected leave to eligible employees.
- Employees may be eligible to request extended sick leave, special leave without pay, or an educational leave of absence. These unpaid leaves of absence may be granted if approved by the district engineer or division leader/state engineer.
- In accordance with policy, employees may be eligible for paid leave for jury duty, disaster relief, or to be a human organ or bone donor.